Friday, August 26, 2016

2016 Food & Toiletries Spending......August Update

* I've closed out the August books a couple of days early as I am done shopping.  Anything bought in the next 5 days will come out of September's funds. *

Onward to August's food spending report.......



Here are my FOOD BUDGET spending totals for AUGUST 2016.

I have posted August,s totals on the Total Grocery Savings for 2016 Page located HERE and have updated the Yearly Totals there.  I am listing subtotals for each store I purchased from in August.  If you aren't interested in that much detail, just skip to the bottom for the Totals Sum.  My spending includes Food, Toiletries/HBA, Cleaning Products, Paper Goods & tax where applicable. We are a family of 5(5 at home this month). No kids under 20.

******************

BAKERY OUTLET
OOP  $18.00
Value  $79.22
Savings   77.28%

BERGER'S FARM STAND
OOP  $6.00
Value  $20.44
Savings  70.65%

MAINE SOURCE
OOP  $151.90
Qs/Ads  $113.27
Value  $265.17
Savings  42.71%

PRICE CHOPPER
OOP  $28.50
Qs/Ads  $15.06
Value  $43.56
Savings  34.57%

SHURSAVE MARKET
OOP  $75.83
Qs/Ads $37.65
Value  $113.48
Savings  33.18%

WEIS MARKETS
OOP  $177.04
Qs/Ads  $141.29
Value  $358.43
Savings  44.38%

*********************
My best 3 Store Savings Totals were Bakery Outlet at 77.28%, the Farm Stand at 70.65% and Weis Markets at 44.38%.  My WORST savings rate was the Shursave Market at 33.18%
I shopped at 6 different stores this past month.
I did NO Rite-Aid shopping in August!  Don't faint.... ;-)


TOTAL Out of Pocket..........$457.27
TOTAL Coupons & Store Sales Savings...$423.03
TOTAL Value of Items Purchased............$880.30
TOTAL Savings of...................................48.05%


This closes out the August food/toiletries spending.

THOUGHTS & COMMENTS for this month.....
I went into August wanting to do a $500 food budget for the month.  I ended up spending $42.73 less than that so stayed under budget, finally!

Again I am still trying to find the spending sweet spot.  I thought I was there but now CB is leaving so there is one less adult and I am back to struggling to find that balance.

At least my savings rate is up to 48.05% which is better than July's rate.
The monthly food spending savings percentage went up by 1.11% in August to 48.05% compared to July's 46.94% savings average.
I'll take that savings rate all day long!

With 8 months accounted for, I have spent a total of $2836.49 on food/toiletries so far in 2016 which averages out to $354.56 per month spent.  This is $14.67 higher per month than the average in July was.
But then again, I am feeding 2 extra people this year so that increase is not so bad.


LOOKING AHEAD To September 2016.........

I will continue with my usual shopping ways in September....buy loss leaders or great deals which we can use, use a few coupons, cash in points for gift cards or buy discounted gift cards to food stores when possible.
I am going to give myself $400 for September.  College Boy is back at school so we are down to feeding 4 adults so $100 per person should be a good amount.

If you have other ideas or guidelines you follow please leave a comment and share yours with us all.

*  How much did you spend on food/toiletries in August?
*  Do you track your yearly food spending?
*  What was your savings percentage buying on sale and/or with coupons vs. buying at regular retail price last month, if you track that sort of thing?
*  What are your methods for keeping your food spending in check?

Is anyone out there up for tracking expenditures and trying to spend less but still eat well?


Sluggy

4 comments:

  1. I've already blown the budget for August. To much family visiting/birthdays and BBQs. Better luck in September hopefully. Glad you finally found the budget number!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep my food spending in check by carefully perusing all ads, even drugstores. Then, I price-match at Walmarts. Since my money ran out before the month ran out, I am just not buying any of the bargains this week except for the black grapes for $0.88/lb. I got less than one pound.

    Also, when I am offered free produce, I use it up or put it up. There is always canned food, but I won't have to use that since I have tomatoes and potatoes and salad greens and cooked chicken breast and tuna to put in salads. I still have green grapes, carrots, slaw mix and other things I bought with the end of the month in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won't hit my $300 target nor $50 household goal despite being gone 8 days. Some splurges did me in. I think I'll finish at $425 but on a note, eating out was virtually will for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am way, way over budget BUT, I have taken serious advantage of the brand new grocery store located just minutes from my home, grabbing some awesome loss leaders, including meats. I recently replaced my stand freezer (was never happy with it), returning to a chest freezer. Since I never felt that items on the door were frozen enough, I had stopped using that part for storage, so I downsized when ordering the chest freezer. I planned appropriately. : ) The new freezer us full, I anticipated eating it down these upcoming months. I've already spent all of Sept's monies so am now allocating funds spent to Oct to keep me in check. I also bought my canning tomatoes, but those were cheap!

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! Thanks for leaving a comment.
All Anonymous commentors will be deleted.
Please include your name in your comment, or choose the 'Name' option and put your name or whatever you call yourself, in the box. Thank you.

Though I moderate it's partly to keep trolls at bay but also partly so that I read every comment. I don't often respond to comments so if you need me to answer you please write me at my email addy posted on my "About Me" page, linked on the side bar.